Sunshine Coast History
Sunshine Coast History

Sunshine Coast History

When talking about the history of the Sunshine Coast region you come to realise that its come such a long way within such a short period of time when compared to other regions of Australia.

In being located between Brisbane - the corporate heart of Queensland - and the road to Gympie gold, the Sunshine Coast has evolved quite naturally  over the years. It has built up organically around kilometres of pristine beaches, undulating hinterland forests and an adornment of lakes and rivers. These attributes ensure that the Sunshine Coast has become increasingly frequented by a mixture of holiday makers and those looking to set up permanent residence - the region has been especially popular with artists and crafstmen.

However, all those years ago, it wasn't these beautifully stunning natural features that initially attracted settlers to the region. The main industry was that of timber, not tourism - although it is hard to believe! This was what built the foundation of the North Coast of Brisbane. The timber logs felled in the Sunshine Coast region were instrumental in the creation of a significant amount of Australia's earlier infrastructure, especially the area around Brisbane.

The array of timbers included red cedar, bunya, kauri pines, beech, tallow-wood and bloodwood. These were used for firewood, railway bridge girders and sleepers, fence posts, house materials, telegraph posts and even livestock water troughs and highly scented oils for perfumes.

With the quick felling of trees and the clearing of rich volcanic soil for agriculture and grazing purposes was the even quicker establishment of settlements which became prolifically interspersed throughout the surrounding hinterland and coastline. Townships were popping up everywhere from Mooloolah in the south to Noosa in the north.

However, Eurpoean claims date back to 1860 where Lieutenant Bligh acquired 16,000 acres in which he named Caroora. Yet, there was actually very minimal settlement until around 30 years later when the Protestant Unity Group settled at Skyring Creek at Cooran. From here the railway was opened from Cooran to Gympie in 1889 with a link from Cooran to Cooroy opening 2 years later.

At around this time Pomona was established and later became the administrative centre of the Noosa Shire in 1910. It remained this way until 1982 when it relocated to its new council chambers in Tewantin which is located on the banks of the Noosa River.

During this period the Landsborough Shire Coucil was meeting in chambers that have now been converted into an Historical Museum which is well worth the look if you're after a very comprehensive and accurate look at the region's history.

Now, after all the tree felling and at the start of the new millennium, the Sunshine Coast 's future is still reliant on trees, however, this time its in the preserving; not harvesting of them!

More History

Alexandra Headland History

Read More About Alexandra Headland HistoryPotts Point was the original name given to the rocky headland between the estuaries of the Maroochy and Mooloolah Rivers. It was named after John Potts, William Pettigrew's (prominent land owner and businessman) overseer. It was renamed Alexandra Headland in honour of Queen Alexandra.

Caloundra History

Read More About Caloundra HistoryThe name Caloundra is thought to be named after the Aboriginal word 'Callanda' which means beautiful place in the Kabi language. However, there is some discrepency that it may be derived from the word 'Cullowundoor' meaning beech tree. It is thought that Caloundra was given this name because of the trees that grow on the headland of Caloundra Head.

Coolum History

Read More About Coolum HistoryThe origin of the name Coolum appears to be derived from the Aboriginal word 'gulum' or 'kulum' meaning 'blunt' or 'headless'. This is assumed to refer to the shape of Mount Coolum, which has no peak. According to Aboriginal legend, Ninderry knocked off Coolum's head and it fell into the ocean and is now Mudjimba Island.

Eumundi History

Read More About Eumundi HistoryThe town name is thought to be derived from "Ngumundi" or "Huomundy". This is the name of a local Aboriginal warrior said to have adopted escaped convict Bracefield as his son in 1831. From the early 1850s, most of the area around the Eumundi district was part of three cattle runs: Canando, Yandina and North Kenilworth.

Glass House Mountains History

Read More About Glass House Mountains HistoryThe legend tells of Tibrogargan noticing that the sea was rising and calling out to Coonowrin to help his pregnant mother gather the young children together so that the family could flee from the rising sea. Coonowrin ran away in fear and Tibrogargan, incensed by his son's cowardice, followed and hit him so hard with a club that his neck was dislocated.

Maroochydore History

Read More About Maroochydore HistoryAndrew Petrie during his 1842 exploration of the coast gave the name Maroochydore to the area. It was derived from the word "murukutchi-dha" in the language of the Brisbane River Aboriginal people who accompanied Petrie on his exploration. It literally means "the place of the red bills" that is the black swans.

Mooloolaba History

Read More About Mooloolaba HistoryThe name Mooloolaba is thought to have derived from either the Aboriginal word 'mulu' for snapper fish or from 'mullu' meaning red-bellied black snake. Lieutenant Heath surveyed and chartered the Mooloolah River mouth and harbour in 1861. The following year, Tome Petrie, explored the region for timber resources.

Noosa History

Read More About Noosa HistoryThe name Noosa came from the Aboriginal word meaning "shadows" or "shade". This is most probably a reference to the relief the tall forests of the area offered from the sun. The Kabi tribe had been visiting the Noosa area for 40 000 years before Europeans first arrived in the 1800s.